Sunday, February 13, 2005

overweight

I have a confession to make. I'm overweight. I can blame this in part on having been pregnant or nursing for nearly a decade. But the truth is that I just frankly eat too much. Here's the problem. I know how to lose weight. But I don't want to have to maintain my weight after I lose weight. I like overeating. I like to eat.
My life is a little crazy, not as hard as some, but it's somewhat self sacrificial. As I sit here, my 4 year old is asking me for breakfast, "I'm really starving now," she says. My 22 month old is saying the same thing, except without the use of consonants. Most of my day will be spent taking care of what someone else's needs.
Eating what I want when I want it is my little way of treating myself, doing something for me. Of course the reality is, and I know this, that I'm not actually helping me when I eat more than I need. When I eat what I need and no more, I feel strong, capable, confident. When I eat because of other reasons, I am a slave to my whim, I feel sluggish, weak, and tired. I can almost hear my body groaning, like someone packing a car when people keep bringing more and more luggage, as if to say, where are we going to put all this stuff - we're running out of room?
Food is not my friend, my god or my master. Food is something provided by my Father in heaven to meet my physical needs. He is a good Father, and will not meet my emotional or spiritual needs with physical food. He will meet those needs appropriately as well. When I overeat, I am rejecting his appropriate provision.
I've never been much for meal time prayers. They always seemed a little ritualistic and superstitious to me. But I'm thinking now, what if I were to pause and give God sincere thanks for his provision each time I break bread, both for bodily needs, heart needs and spiritual needs. Might I be less likely to get them mixed up?

No comments: