Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Praise vs Worship

I get it.

I should probably apologize for all the eye rolling and arguing I've done in the past regarding this subject. (If I have many more blog-about-faces, I'm going to have to rename the blog, "Crow for dinner".) I just didn't get it, and I do now.

Praise is a choice. It is an action, giving what is due to the one (One) who rightfully deserves it. It is logical. It is deliberate. We praise Jesus because He is worthy. We give Him our praise. It is conscious.

Worship is a response, a reaction. Worship is what happens when we encounter Him. Worship is the way we feel, the way we are, the way we cannot help but to be in the face of His beauty, His majesty, His excellencies.

Praise can be commanded, worship cannot.

It is appropriate to praise, regardless of feeling or emotion, even contrasting it. Worship happens in spirit and truth.

And I think praise often leads to worship. We exalt Him, He reveals Himself to us, we worship.

Anyway, sorry to everybody I ever argued with about the terms "praise" and "worship". You know who you are. Praise is exalting Him, first person, second or third. Worship is our response to the exalted Him.

No comments: