Sunday, October 21, 2012

Laundry Pure

Disclaimer #1 As I've said before, this site is not monetized. I don't make money here. It is just for fun. So any product endorsements I write are genuine (not that monetized endorsements aren't). I have no skin in the game. In this case, I am telling you about a product my friend is selling. But that shouldn't weaken what I'm saying. For one thing, I already bought mine, in part because I trusted my friend. For another, she actually already likes me, and won't like me more or less because of what I say here.

Disclaimer #2 I am going to talk about gross stuff here. I'll try not to be too explicit, but read at your own risk. Ok?

Recently my friend bought a Laundry Pure system. And after she bought it and used it for a little while and loved it, I bought one from her. It is a box, about the size of a laptop computer (closed), that hangs on the wall above the washing machine. I won't try to tell you how it works, because, frankly, I don't understand it. It's rocket science. The water, cold, goes into the thing when I turn it on, there is a blue light that glows, it makes a whoosh sound like someone just opened up their lightsaber, and somehow, magically, something to do with ions, the clothes are clean. I don't put soap in, I don't put bleach in, nothing.

How do I know they are clean? Well, they did a study and published it on the news in Florida, you can google it. But really, they were just doing baseball playing dirt. We make real dirt. We make dirt that comes out of humans. We use mostly reusable cloth products here, diapers and feminine unmentionables. We also don't all always remember to use deodorant, or it doesn't always work. We make smells and nasty yuck.

So I was very skeptical. Very. But it works. It took me a while to decide, because I had a cold when we first got it, so I couldn't smell. You get a 30 day trial. And I took all 30 days making sure. The thing I was waiting on was stinky washclothes and towels. Our towels did finally get clean - it took a few washings. The washclothes were at the end of their useful life and needed replacing anyway. I cannot convince my people to rinse and hang up kitchen wash clothes. If I am gone for a couple days, I will find 18 of them in the bottom of the sink, wadded up with food in them and making big stink.

But I am convinced about the diapers and armpits and unmentionables and bath towels. They are honestly clean.

I wash my diapers twice on heavy, like I did before. They say if you would normally pre-treat something, you should still do that. Sometimes I run something through twice (like newborn poop stains - which normal soap doesn't get out either) and they do fade.

And the diapers are actually getting better. Bumgenius is the kind of diapers I use. They are all at least 3 years old and have been used on 4 different butts now. My diapers are pocket diapers, meaning there is an outside shell and inserts to stuff it with. My inserts are fluffing up (they normally get flatter with use) and my pockets are getting slicker on the inside (the water proof layer normally starts to get sticky after a while, making them harder to stuff). I suspect they will last longer because I'm using this.

I'm told that towels fluff up too, but mine haven't yet, and that colors brighten up, mine haven't yet. But what my stuff is doing is getting clean without soap or hot water. It doesn't smell. It doesn't smell like poop or pee or stinky pit or other nastiness. It doesn't smell like anything. In fact, if you are a person that likes your clean stuff to smell like something, you'd probably have to add the smell. I think you can do that, but I don't like perfume, so I don't want to, so I don't know how.

If you are interested, you can write a comment, and I won't publish it, but I'll give you my friend's contact info. Or if you have a question for me, you can ask me.

By the way, it is pretty expensive. If you can get a refurbed one, it is less, but still a bit of a jump, and I don't know how often those are available. But it's a buy once, cry once, and then you aren't heating your water or paying for laundry soap - for us, it'll pay for itself in a year or so.

So there it is, my Laundry Pure review.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
Is the washer machine that you use a front loader? I'm having trouble getting my diapers clean no matter what I try.

Thanks,
Rebecca

The Amazing Supermom said...

I haven't updated on this, sorry. I do have a front loader. Our laundry pure stopped working at one point. It was replaced quickly and easily. Then a little while later we used up our crystal thing and bought a new one. I think it still is doing a pretty good job, but in the fine print it says some people have to use a small amount of detergent. I use a little with my whites. But other than that I'm pleased.

Charlie said...

I have been trying one out for just over two weeks and they are getting stinkier. We have tried adding baking soda and borax during the wash, but some of the poop doesn't seem to come out (BumGenius here as well). I am thinking that hot water really is the key to this, but maybe you can help me with this before I return the machine. Is yours still getting the job done?

The Amazing Supermom said...

Manlunch, I think it is. I just got new diapers, so I'm starting fresh. But if you don't think it's working, don't keep it. Is yours a refurb? I think they are less dependable. I know some people still do the monthly bleach, or oxyclean, but I think it does the job for me. Sometimes I have to re run a load or a diaper. But if you don't like it, send it back. It's too expensive to not be pleased. I read that "pure wash" was a newer, better, cheaper thing. Maybe worth a shot.

What kind of bumgenius do you have?

The Amazing Supermom said...

Rebecca, my friend at cotton babies suggested putting a big wet towel in with diapers in the front loader. Ironic, I thought the front loader would be better for clog diapers, but she said a top loader does better. :/

Charlie said...

It isn't a refurb, it's a brand new 4th Generation. I guess I'll send it back. It's a bummer because I really wanted it to work.

I have the last three generations of BumGenius in both snappy and velcro with cotton inserts.

The Amazing Supermom said...

There may be something you can do - I'm not an expert. Hope you find something that does work.