Monday, February 01, 2010

the freedom experiment

here is my experiment. i know that casting off restraint (denying God) in the name of a "free" day or meal really leads to bondage and addiction to the very things from which He set me free. so for my "free" meal this weekend, i ate a normal supper and then made a batch of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, with freshly milled whole wheat flour and old fashioned oats, but real sugar and butter. i wasn't trying to conserve calories, but neither did i eat "as many as i wanted". i had 3 or 4 (i think probably 4) and had a spoonful of cookie dough - same as i gave all the kids, and did lick my fingers off a little. but i didn't abandon everything i have learned and know.

i think that works for me. we'll see how it goes. super bowl weekend coming up. at someone else's house maybe. that's hard. do i take my own snacks? give myself a limit? eat whatever i want only for an hour (reminds me of the laverne and shirley episode where they win a cart of free groceries. i can imagine myself sitting at the table, not talking, not watching the game, just eating brownies)?

God give me wisdom to know how to be healthy at someone else's house.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Love your honesty. Glad to see your battling through. My thoughts on Super Bowl Sunday - yes bring some healthy snacks, yes set a limit, no don't eat whatever you want for an hour (too much damage can be done in that amount of time). Hang in there! February will be a tough month for me as well - 4 family birthdays (including my own) plus Valentine's Day, plans to go out to dinner this weekend (twice), plus Super Bowl. Yikes!

Unknown said...

I just caught up on the last 5 or so posts. Your honesty is so brave and so nourishing. I feel my own heart highlighted, chastised and encouraged - and it feels a lot like when HE corrects me, a tinge of pain surrounded by light, life and joy. I would love to take a minute and lead my heart though repentance by the words of life and freedom you've posted this last month. In fact, I really need to. Man, you are so right about self control...a term that has followed me through my earliest memories...