Saturday, July 07, 2012

Nesting

I'm nesting.  I want to paint and clean and organize my house. 

We're kicking the kids out of our bathroom.  "But wait," they say, "why do you get 2 sinks for the two of you and we 12 have to share just one?"  Good question, we say.  (My kids decided a long time ago that a "good question" is one I don't know the answer to.)

What if we put the boys in the previously spare bedroom in the attic and give them the attic bathroom for their very own and give the girls the bathroom on the second floor?  And we let them choose the paint color for both bathrooms?  The boys have chosen grasshopper green (according to Sherwin Williams - it'd have to be a very bright grasshopper) and the girls are painting their bathroom tangerine.  Both colors will make it easier to take contact lenses out.

So what happens to the boys' room?  I'm turning it into a nursery.  A room with a crib and a changing table and a rocking chair.  And maybe a bed.  Painting it my favorite color of yellow and hanging my classic Pooh things up. 

My bathroom needs a makeover too.  I want to put up a big mirror that I can see myself in, not just from the neck up.  I have learned from experience that I am more likely to try to take care of my body if I have to look at it from time to time.  But alas, my current bathroom has two oval "mirror, mirror on the wall" style mirrors that stop around my shoulders.  (For those of you who don't know me, I stand at a towering 5'1", maybe.) Not helpful.  And I want some kind of storage up above the height of the 3 year old so that she doesn't attempt to shave her beard off.

My laundry room deserves a cheerful color as well, and shelves for baskets of dirty clothes instead of a line of them in the hallway (blocking quick and easy entrance to the tangerine bathroom). 

All of this painting requires cleaning and organizing, because, well, you can't actually paint a room with a foot of clean laundry covering the floor.  So I've been moving the clean laundry back and forth between my room (a big hit, let me tell you) and the laundry room, trying to get it processed and hung up and put away.  There are at least 2 baskets of clothes that don't fit anybody and need put away, high away, and another two baskets of unmatched socks, because, well, you don't need socks in 108 degree weather.  But it's a work in progress, and if no one needs anything, I should be able to get it done in about a week.  Yeah.  Right.

Oh, yeah, the first floor bathroom wants to be the same lovely green color as the foyer, and the kitchen just wants to be the color it is, minus the white spackle splotches. 

We're hoping to put Psalm 1:1-3 on the wall in the foyer, using the vinyl wall stickers, because anything we hang there gets knocked off the wall by boys or the things boys play with.  And I'm having eldest daughter paint a tree in the living room for me to hang lots of family pictures over the top of.

The kitchen floor is ceramic tile and parts of it are coming up in pieces - best puzzle ever - because our floor is not and never will be level.  We are exploring options for replacing it with something more forgiving, because we need a lot of forgiveness around here.  Maybe a wood looking vinyl.  I also have dreams of someday not having to keep a bowl under my garbage disposal to catch (some of) the leaks and not having to keep the water running whenever the temps go below 20 degreees.



Lastly (I know, you're exhausted) I want to put up a chain link fence so that if we leave our doggie at home he can poop in the yard instead of on my carpet.  I know, not in 108 degrees, but if the temperature ever dips back into temperatures cooler than the surface of the sun. 

No comments: