Monday, April 04, 2011

Confessions of a recovering perfectionist

I used to be an all or nothing kind of girl. A perfectionist. If I couldn't do it perfectly, I wouldn't do it. I remember getting really irritated when someone helped match my children's socks and didn't do it exactly right. But my sock matching standards have eased up quite a bit. And while I'd prefer to have all the coffee mugs on the right and all the drinking glasses on the left, I've stopped correcting them (I do still put my favorites on the next shelf up).

Today I took a baby step. I had no sugar. I had an orange, 2 glasses of milk, 2 pieces bread and 2 large helpings of white pasta (among other things) - so I did have sugars, but I ate no sweets. I did nothing else. At this rate I'm sure to reach my ideal weight by the time I've been dead for 50 years. But it was a tiny step.

My perfectionist self conscious is not impressed. Neither should you be. I'm not. But exercising a teeny tiny amount of self control felt, well, better. I suspect it might grow on me.

It is better to do a little thing than to do no thing. It is better to get a little done than to wait for the opportune moment to do it all. Sometimes it is better to do a job poorly now than to insist on doing it well and never finding the time to do it well enough.

No comments: