Sunday, February 26, 2012

My teeth belong to God

So, a number of years ago I went to the dentist, which has never been my favorite place, and had my 6 month check-up/scolding for not doing a better job taking care of my teeth. I don't like to floss or brush, and especially not at night, when I'm ready for bed. So I was in a habit of "letting myself off the hook" in the evening and just brushing in the morning.

In fact, I had never really brushed or flossed well. I tell my kids to brush their teeth as if they want to keep them. I didn't. I just went through the motions. And that day, after another predictable and well deserved lecture, I went home and thought/prayed, "I just wish one time I could go to the dentist and have them tell me I did a good job." And I felt like God said something like, "Give me your teeth." And I started to treat my teeth as though they belonged to God. And I brushed my teeth and flossed my teeth before I went to bed, because they were God's teeth. I took care of my teeth as unto the Lord.

Ever since then, I have really had good check-ups and last week they told me I was a poster child for taking good care of my teeth. No kidding. They really said that. And then I told them the story I just told you, and ended with this thought, "It's too bad I don't do that with other areas of my life."

Well, I went home thinking about that, and I'm trying it. My fast, my Nazirite vow, is not about denying myself of good things. It is about belonging to the Lord. It's about Isaiah 44. I belong to the Lord. So what I eat falls under His jurisdiction. I'm trying it. I'm submitting to Him. Several times I have stopped eating because I didn't really need more food. Sometimes I have kept eating and regretted it. But I am trying to belong to Him regarding what I eat.

I am my Beloved's and He is mine, and His banner over me is LOVE.

No comments: