Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Lingering

We went to Kenya a few years ago, my husband and I. And one of my memories of the places we went and the people we spent time with was of entering various homes, hearing the greeting, "Karibu!" (welcome), being served chai and having this delightful unhurried visit in the afternoon. So much of life outside of America strikes us as so relaxed because we're in such a mad rush about everything.

Today my devotional set at the house of prayer reminded me of one of those visits. It was like a cup of chai. I lingered. I was in no hurry. I had a hour and a half to be with my Beloved, my Friend. I sang to Him whatever I wanted to sing. I flowed between a half dozen songs and the Song of Songs and Philippians 3 and other scriptures hidden in my heart.

I am my Beloved's and He is mine. It was a pleasant moment in the frenzy of life, that made me wonder why I don't make more like it. Lingering.

No comments: