Monday, March 07, 2011

Preparing to launch

Today is our last day of having Daddy home to help. Tomorrow is the beginning of "normal" life. Hmmn. Not that I intend to go at Supermom pace tomorrow or this week. If corporate chics get 6 weeks, I guess I can have a couple more days to get all oriented.

The problem with that idea, though, is that when a corporate chic takes 6 weeks, her co-workers don't take the time off with her. In fact, they all probably work harder because she isn't. If a school teacher takes maternity leave, there is a substitute teacher who takes her place in making sure everything happens as it is supposed to.

But for a home school mom, who calls in a sub? Who makes sure everything gets done? There is no relief pitcher. My children are fairly well trained, but they are, in the end, children. If they were capable of doing everything without me, they wouldn't need a mother.

So to some degree, I'm not really taking time off, because being their mother is my life, and it is a critical part of their lives. Instead, we will whittle it down to what my IT husband calls "the critical path". Math, spoons, socks. Diapers, food. Survival mode. And even survival mode is a stretch for us right now. T-minus 10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . .

"We don't have any apples, we don't have any oranges. Can we have orange soda?"

1 comment:

Lulu said...

It's true. The pay off will only come when you don't have to go to work in 6 weeks, pack up the kids and take them to day care, plan meals on the way to work, etc. Then it will seem good. But not now. :o) I wish I could come and help, but I'm on bed rest myself...