Friday, May 11, 2012

Honoring Mothers

Before I get all selfish and focused on the parade being prepared in my honor as the amazing supermom of 12 seen and one wriggling invisible blessings, I must needs give honor where honor is due.

I honor my mother, who taught me to seek God, to write neatly, to finish a job and to pee on the pot. She gave birth to me, agonized over me, no doubt prayed many an hour for me, and poured her life into me, neglecting her own needs almost constantly. She kept me clothed, fed, busy, happy and healthy for years, doing all the jobs that now occupy the better part of my days. And she loves me. Up one side and down the other, she is, as she says, "in my balcony."

I honor my mother in law, the woman who gave birth to the man who has made my dreams come true. One thing I desired in a husband was a man who had a good relationship with his mother, and I am so thankful to have that. She was and is a phenomenal mother and now grandmother. She does everything a mother is supposed to do with excellence, keeping her house, preparing meals, birthday cards, gifts, weeping and laughing with her children and grandchildren, feeling their pain and rejoicing in their triumph. She is a terrific mom.

Finally, I honor the incredibly beautiful and wonderful birthmother of my youngest daughter. She chose, at great physical and emotional cost to herself, to give her baby what she believed was the very best life possible, and had faith in us to provide that for her. She has confirmed again and again her belief that this was the best decision for the little girl we both love. I am daily stunned and overwhelmed by the gift she and the Lord bestowed on us. The little face and smile and laugh and hugs and words, hearing her say Mama and seeing her dance and play, all are a reward that someone else earned and gave freely to me. Her birthmother. Her first mother. What an incredible woman! I will and must always esteem her highly.

Happy Mother's Day to these three women who give my joy wings. Thank you. I owe you all the world.

No comments: