Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Voted

My husband and I just voted.

We stood in line for a half an hour.

We were the only white people we saw.

I was intrigued to learn recently that some people, people I respect and think highly of, actually have convictions about not voting. They have reasons they believe are Biblical to not vote. Fascinating.

I am also aware that there are many who would rather vote for a 3rd party candidate than for someone who has a real potential to win that they don't completely agree with.

This election is difficult for a couple reasons.

Romney is a Mormon. That is different from being a Christian with slightly different theology. I think he's a moral guy who is deceived. Not my favorite.

Romney is recently a governor of a pretty liberal state. So it is hard to know exactly where he stands on some things.

On the other hand, I think I have a pretty good handle on where Obama stands, which is different from where I stand on a few significant (to me) points.

Our friendship with Israel has weakened during Obama's presidency.

Abortion rights (not just the continuation of Roe vs Wade) legislation and funding are a big deal, and he is extremely on the side of making abortion easy and accessible to anybody, including minors and especially minorities, no parental consent necessary, no waiting period, no real concern for women's health, no research and care about women's bodies and spirits post-abortion, at any time during a pregnancy. Even if we can't overturn Roevwade, and I'm not sure we can't, there is much that could be done to decrease the number of abortions that happen, and Obama is not interested in that.

And, in general, Obama has been a big grow-the-government, government as the answer to the problems, kind of guy. Bigger government, bigger debt.

Is Romney a guarantee on these issues? Not necessarily. But I think he can win, and I think he will be a lot better. I know that's pragmatic. I like the idea of having a man with African ancestry in the white house. But not at this cost.

I think that's the best I can do with the vote I have, and what I feel responsible about before God.

No comments: