Friday, November 09, 2012

What's the big deal about gay marriage?

Well, it is official. Our country is actually going to hell in a handbasket. We chose to elect a man who is not just pro-choice. He is just really pro-abortion. We chose, in more than one state, to legalize the use of marijuana. We elected the first openly gay senator. And we chose, in at least 2 states, to legally recognize gay marriages.

A good friend said, last night at dinner, we shouldn't be surprised, when we've been teaching this stuff in the schools for the last 30 years. And it is true. In fact, having been educated all 17 years in the public school system (Voddie Bauchem calls it the Government Indoctrination Center) I have a lot of mixed up worldview things I'm continuing to work through myself.

Like, what is the big deal about gay marriage? I mean, it is certainly not what I believe, but what harm is there in it? Those people are close to each other, what's the harm in them having the rights that married couples have, legal authority in medical situations, for example?

After all, homosexuality is a sin, but there are lots of sins. And yes, it is a sin against the body, but so are fornication and adultery. Why single them out? What is the big deal about gay marriage?

Here is the deal, and I'm afraid it is big. I have sin issues in my life, sins I struggle with regularly. So do you, I suspect. Except You, Jesus. (He reads my blog, you know. He's not an official follower, but He keeps up.)

And I probably have sin issues that I don't fully realize are sins. It's called deception. I've certainly been there before if I'm not now. Like forgiveness, I can be walking in unforgiveness for quite some time before the Holy Spirit brings it to my attention.

The difference I see with homosexuality is that many (not all) who are either in a same sex relationship or wish they were, adamantly insist that it is not a sin. Like I said, that's deception. Jesus loves them enough to let them know, and they will either repent, or rebel against Him. That is between them and Him. My job is not to condemn them. The Bible and their consciences do that. My job is to love them and bless them and pray for them.

But for our government (or some of our churches or denominations, for that matter) to officially recognize homosexual union, is for them to say it is not a sin. We are officially pardoning them, agreeing with them that it is normal and right and fine. We are officially, as a nation, or at least as states in the nation, making our law against God's law.

I am not sure that marijuana is any worse for you than alcohol or cigarettes. None of them are all that beneficial, I think. But I guess, within reason, none of them are sinful in and of themselves. An addiction to them is, but I would argue that Jesus doesn't want us to be addicted to anything but Him, and many are addicted to video games or soap operas or chocolate. We don't, wouldn't legislate against something that some people are addicted to.

But we are making legal and officially recognizing as normal and right and good, we are institutionalizing and sponsoring, something that God calls an abomination. And that is a really big deal. Not the biggest deal to me. Calling the deliberate execution of an unborn human a legal right is probably a bigger deal. Telling Israel to shove off and wait for the bomb to hit is a pretty big deal. Digging ourselves to China in deficit spending is a pretty big deal too. Even if you like what we're spending the money on, and I don't mostly, you can't spend money you don't have, and we're doing more of that right now than ever.

So, if you are reading this, and you are a person who identifies yourself as a homosexual or leans that way - I'm not condemning you. The Bible does, but it condemns me too - you're in good company. It condemns all of us. But at the same time, it offers a way out. And not like, "stop sinning and then Jesus will save you". More like, "come as you are, no sin is too big or too hard, you are forgiven, and whatever else you bring Me, I can help you with it."

I need mercy from Jesus, and I'm glad to extend it to you. And I am sorry that so many of us Christians have failed to communicate the love and mercy and compassion of Jesus to you. We are wrong to do that. I hope you can forgive us and receive Jesus forgiveness. When we did that to you, that wasn't Him.

No comments: