Saturday, May 14, 2011

Something I am pondering . . .

I was reading the last part of Isaiah 58 the other day, where he talks about the Sabbath, and it made me wonder, not for the first time, why "Remember the Sabbath" is the only commandment we deleted. I guess it is because Jesus had so many skirmishes with the pharisees about healing on the Sabbath, and the apostles let the New Testament church off the hook in some ways, but this passage makes me think we are missing something if we just forget the whole thing.
I think we would do well to remember the Sabbath. I don't know what this should look like. I think it is like bringing your tithe in, there is a blessing to be found for those who keep it. It just doesn't make sense that it was such a big deal in the Old Testament, and that it is simply a delete now.
Just thinking about it.

No comments: