Monday, May 02, 2011

Dancing is for . . .

Girls? Sissies?

I go to one of those churches where people dance. Which is to say, it is culturally appropriate to dance at my church. Or at least, we say it is. Really, it is culturally appropriate for children to dance. Especially girls. And some women. And men who are either extremely confident, passionate, or weird.

But really, most people don't. Wouldn't feel comfortable. Most of the time.

I fit into the category of "some women" and I do dance sometimes. Sometimes I can't help but dance. Not that I'm a particularly good dancer. And as Chris Farley proved in the old SNL Chip'n'dale's skit with Patrick Swayzee, even if fat people are good at dancing (and I said already that I'm not) it still doesn't look very good. Still I dance, especially with my children.

My older sons are out-growing dancing. Which means my younger sons will never probably do it.

The interesting thing to me is this: in many other cultures (specifically, I'm thinking about the Masai in Kenya and Native Americans), do you know who dances? The warriors. Those headed into battle. Those who have returned from battle victorious. The men.

And I'm just musing here, but perhaps men NOT dancing now is actually the result of the effeminization of men in our culture. Perhaps the men don't dance now because they are not man enough to dance.

Is dancing in worship just for the children, the women, the weak and the weird? No, dancing is for the mighty, the strong, the warriors. It's an upside down kingdom, to be sure. Strength in weakness and all that. But seriously, guys, come on. Sometime, when you feel it rising up in you, just man up and dance.

No comments: