Monday, January 17, 2011

It's the little things

Like looking for my toothbrush at bedtime and finding it. Dry.

Seeing 5 of my younger children wadded up on the couch with one of the big kids reading a book to them.

Having my husband come home early on a particularly exhausting day.

Spending a night without my beloved children eating my favorite food with one of my favorite people doing some of my favorite things.

Putting my laundry away and finding my favorite shirt AND my favorite jeans together (shouldn't surprise me, since I wore them together last time, as soon as they were clean).

Walking into the laundry room and seeing the floor.

Knowing what's for dinner at 4:15.

Holding 2 or 3 or 4 little ones and all being comfortable and happy. It only lasts for a minute, but it's one of my favorite minutes.

Being understood.

Receiving advise that actually helps and doesn't make me feel like a big idiot.

Playing board games with my big kids and kicking their butts, but barely.

Watching my husband laugh.

Looking at my little adopted daughter and remembering dreaming about her and thinking it would never happen and feeling foolish for even hoping . . . and having the courage to hope again and feel foolish again.

Having a contraction or two here and there and knowing it won't be forever.

Seeing my children worshiping or reading the Bible or drawing or playing together, seeing their personalities and gifts emerging, seeing them care for each other or use wisdom or laugh together, and feeling like with all my failures and shortcomings, there is fruit being born here and because of or in spite of our efforts, our children are becoming people we like and want to be with.

No comments: